We are open!
- Our hours are 10am to 6pm, Monday through Friday, and 10am to 5pm on Saturday.
- The intersection of Evans Street and Reid Circle is closed. However, you can enter Evans Street from 5th Street or Dickinson Avenue in order to reach our back parking lot or the Five Points Plaza parking lot.
- You must have a copy of your schedule; we do not have publicly available computers for our customers during the pandemic.
- You can save time by purchasing online and picking up your books or having us ship them to you.
For online orders, we send out an email when we receive your order, and a second email when we have processed your order. Books purchased for in store pickup will be available when we have sent you the second email stating that your books are available or have shipped.
RedShelf ebooks are now available, and are delivered via email.
Summer rental returns are due back at the store by the end of the business day on Wednesday, August 5. Be aware that the dorm move in dates of July 22-25, July 29-August 1, and August 5-6 may create significant traffic in the textbooks department. We have two methods of rental return.
IN PERSON RETURNS: We are accepting in person rental returns from 10am to 6pm Monday through Friday and 10am to 5pm Saturday.
MAIL IN RETURNS: Please follow all instructions carefully to make sure we can credit you with your return. We receive books from many sources and cannot identify a rental return without this information!
(1) Ship your books via a trackable shipping method for your own protection. The United States Postal Service offers this service and your shipment will qualify for the lower priced media mail rate. Write down your tracking number before you ship, and make sure that the estimated delivery date is on or prior to the due date.
(2) Ship your books to:
University Book Exchange
516 S. Cotanche Street
Greenville, NC 27858
(3) Include a full-size sheet of paper with your name, address, phone number, account number (found in your rental return reminder emails), number of books returned, and the titles of books returned.
For mail in returns, you MUST follow all instructions for us to be able to credit your rental return to you. Without this information, we can't tell whose books have been returned.
Important Information About Online Purchases
If you buy books online, whether for in store pickup or for shipping, please allow us 24 (twenty-four) hours to process your order. You will receive a confirmation email when we receive your order, and a second email when we have processed your order and charged you for the textbooks. At that point, we will ship any books for which you requested delivery, email out any RedShelf ebook codes you purchased, and have in store pickups ready and waiting in the textbooks office. Be prepared to show a photo id when you come in to pick up your books. Free standard shipping on all orders of $100 or more!
This is what used textbooks look like when they come in from MBS, one of our wholesalers. Thanks to relationships with the biggest three wholesalers in the business, as well as a robust self-funded rental program, we have more used books at lower prices.
You may not know this, but where we can control our costs---and having a self-funded rental program gives us an edge on costs---we lower our prices to reflect current costs. That means that a lot of our books are either available to rent or to buy at lower prices than you might find in a traditional bookstore, and in many cases, even what you might find online. Peer-to-peer marketplaces experience high demand during the start of a semester, which drives prices up. Since our prices don't fluctuate, and since we price based on cost, our prices are competitive.
Use our buy books link to purchase and rent, or just check prices, online.